Developer withdraws plans for data center in southeast Raleigh, mayor says
A developer has withdrawn a proposal for a $180 million medium-sized data center in southeast Raleigh following community opposition.
Velocity
How fast coverage is spreading — measured hourly from article rate × source diversity. How this works →
The brief
A developer has officially withdrawn a petition and the associated plans to construct a new data center located in southeast Raleigh. According to reports from WRAL, the mayor confirmed the withdrawal of the project. The proposal had sought the construction of a facility described as 'medium' in size, with a total projected investment of $180 million. The project was notably removed from the agenda for a meeting scheduled for Tuesday, effectively halting the current progression of the development plan in that specific geographic area. Coverage of the withdrawal is being reported by several regional and national outlets, including WRAL, ABC11 News, the Raleigh News & Observer, bizjournals.com, and Yahoo.
ABC11 News specifically emphasizes that the developer's decision to pull the plans came after experiencing significant community opposition. While bizjournals.com focuses on the financial scale of the withdrawn petition, noting the $180 million price tag, other outlets highlight the procedural aspect of the project being stripped from the official Tuesday meeting agenda. Context provided by the Raleigh News & Observer indicates that the developer had been seeking annexation to facilitate the building of the data center in the southeast region of the city. This indicates that the proposed site was likely outside the existing city limits, requiring a formal annexation process before construction could proceed. The intersection of industrial development needs and local residential or community concerns has become a focal point of the coverage, as the project's collapse is directly linked to the pushback from the local population.
Future developments will depend on whether the developer pursues the project at an alternative site or attempts to modify the current proposal to address the community opposition mentioned by ABC11 News. For now, the removal of the item from the Tuesday meeting agenda serves as the primary indicator that the current petition is no longer active. Observers will likely monitor city annexation requests and mayor's office announcements for any signs of revised data center proposals in the Raleigh area.
Synthesized by PULSE from the headlines below under a strict no-invention contract. ✓ fact-checked: all claims supported by sources Updated 2h ago.
Quick answers
What was the estimated cost of the proposed data center?
The data center was projected to cost $180 million.
Why was the project withdrawn?
According to ABC11 News, the plans were withdrawn following community opposition.
What was the size category of the proposed facility?
The Raleigh News & Observer described the proposed data center as 'medium' size.
Coverage (5)
- Developer pulls Raleigh petition for $180M data center bizjournals.com · 1d ago
- Proposal for Raleigh data center withdrawn from Tuesday meeting agenda Yahoo · 1d ago
- Proposed southeast Raleigh data center withdrawn after community opposition ABC11 News · 1d ago
- Developer seeks annexation to build ‘medium’ size data center in Southeast Raleigh Raleigh News & Observer · 1d ago
- Developer withdraws plans for data center in southeast Raleigh, mayor says WRAL · 1d ago
Topics
Related trends
UNC's Michael Malone, Steve Newmark Comment on Seth Trimble's Transfer to Louisville
6 news sources are covering this Sports story right now — PULSE is tracking how fast it spreads.
Cal Raleigh shoulders blame as Mariners lose fifth straight
Cal Raleigh shoulders the blame for the Seattle Mariners following a fifth consecutive defeat.
A Rare Tick-borne Virus That Can Be Fatal Was Just Confirmed in New York—Here’s What Travelers Should Know
4 news sources are covering this Health story right now — PULSE is tracking how fast it spreads.
Seth Trimble becomes Louisville's latest high-profile transfer
Former North Carolina star Seth Trimble has committed to Louisville after a court ruling granted him an additional year of eligibility.
Death toll from flesh-eating bacteria rises: These are the Vibrio warning signs to watch for
Recent coverage tracks a rising death toll linked to flesh-eating bacteria across Southern coastal regions.
EXCLUSIVE: Father Who Carried Injured Daughter in Viral Little League Moment Recalls His ‘Dad Instincts’
A viral moment of fatherly instinct captures attention during the 2026 Little League Softball World Series championship finale.